DPR's Permits Office handles all permit applications for the athletic use of its ball fields and basketball courts. To submit an athletic facility permit request please complete the online permit application.
Athletic Facility Locations
Seasonal and Renovation Closures
Your preferred location may be offline temporarily or on a long-term basis due to inclement weather, renovation, or seasonal closure.
- Please review the Athletic Field Information Page for field closure information;
- Natural turf fields are offline from the Friday before Thanksgiving until the third Friday in March; and
- Artificial (synthetic) fields and indoor basketball courts/gyms are available year round.
Athletic Permit Application Period
DPR permits its ball fields and basketball courts on a seasonal basis. DPR has three scheduling seasons: Fall, Winter, and Spring/Summer.
Prior to each scheduling season, DPR will publish a time period, or “permit window,” during which the agency will accept athletic permit applications. The latest seasonal athletic permit information is listed below. Please note: DPR handles late requests for fields and gyms in the order in which they are received.
- Spring/Summer 2016
- Season Duration: March 21 – September 6, 2016
- Permit Application Window: November 30 - December 11, 2015
- Application Deadline: 11:59 pm on December 11, 2015
- Notifications of Availability: Week of January 25, 2016
- Late Submissions: Permits that are submitted on or after December 12, 2015 will be considered LATE SUBMISSIONS. All late submissions will not be reviewed until the week of February 8, 2016 and notifications of availability will take place after February 22, 2016.
- Please note that the National Park Service fields are only permitted May through September of each year.
- Fall/Winter 2016-2017
- Fall: September 7 - November 18, 2016
- Winter: November 19 - March 17, 2017
- Permit Application Period: June 20 - July 4, 2016
- Application Deadline: 11:59 pm on July 4, 2016
- Notifications of Availability: On or before August 3, 2016
- Late Submissions: Permits that are submitted on or after July 4, 2016 will be considered LATE SUBMISSIONS. All late submissions will not be reviewed until the week of August 22, 2016 and notifications of availability will take place after August 29, 2016.
NOTE: Natural turf fields are offline from the Friday before Thanksgiving (11/18/2016) until the third Friday in March (03/17/2017).
Permit Issuance Priority
Provided that the application is completed in a timely manner, DPR will award permits in the following order when scheduling activities for fields and gymnasiums:
- DPR-sponsored activities;
- District of Columbia non-profit partners recognized by DPR in a written agreement;
- Athletic programs organized by DCPS, DC Public Charter Schools, or the DCSAA for competitive league play and not for intramurals;
- * Youth non-profit organizations, including schools, principally serving residents of the District of Columbia;
- * Adult non-profit organizations principally serving DC residents;
- Other District of Columbia organizations, groups, or individuals for private use;
- Non-residents youth non-profit organizations, including schools; and
- Non-residents adult non-profit organizations.
* Principally serving requires 75% of participants be DC residents. Applicants may be required to sign a sworn statement or provide rosters of participants’ addresses showing that they meet the residency requirements.
Prospective permit holders must pay two weeks after receiving email confirmation of the availability of their field or gym. In order to cover incidental costs associated with late permits, DPR will charge a permit holder a fee equal to 15% of the total cost of the permit for any payment that arrives past the two week deadline. DPR reserves the right to cancel any athletic permit for which it has not received payment after the two-week deadline.
The DPR permit office is located at 1250 U St., NW, Washington, DC 20009. The office hours are as follows:
- Monday – Friday: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Closed: Saturday and Sunday.
- Walk-Ins: Customers may drop off permit applications or submit payments any weekday between 9:00 am - 5:00 pm. For general concerns, questions, or comments, the permit office will provide walk-in hours from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm.
- Customers who wish to discuss any permit issues (Approval, Denial, Pending Request,) or general questions concerning a permit can schedule a conference by calling (202) 671-2597 or emailing: DPRpermits@dc.gov.