If you are a group interested in securing a pool permit, please complete the Aquatics Permit Application Form. Any questions regarding aquatic permits should be directed to DPR's Permits office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 671-2597.
Group Permit applications will be handled in order of priority, followed by a "first-come, first-served" process, for all applications submitted by the application deadline.
If your activity consists of ten (10) or more participants, a DPR permit is required.
Fall 2016 Aquatics Permit Application Period
- Season Duration: September 7, 2016 - November 30, 2016
- Permit Window: August 22, 2016 – September 14, 2016
- Application Deadline: September 13, 2016 at 11:59 pm
- Notifications of Availability: Week of September 5, 2016
Winter 2016-2017 Aquatics Permit Application Period
- Season Duration: November 21, 2016 - March 31, 2017
- Permit Window: September 12, 2016 – September 23, 2016
- Application Deadline: September 22, 2016 at 11:59 pm
Spring 2017 Aquatics Permit Application Period
- Season Duration: March 18, 2017 - June 18, 2017
- Permit Window: December 12, 2016 – December 31, 2016
- Application Deadline: December 30, 2016 at 11:59 pm
Summer 2017 Aquatics Permit Application Period
- Season Duration: June 19, 2017 - August 20, 2017
- Permit Window: March 20, 2017 – April 6, 2017
- Application Deadline: April 5, 2017 at 11:59 pm
- The maximum group size for outdoor pools is twenty-five (25), including adult staff;
- All groups must abide by the proper DPR camper to staff ratios;
- During this initial time frame groups will only be permitted a maximum of one (1) hour a day for two (2) days a week. After the application deadline all groups can apply for more time on a first-come, first-served basis;
- Permits will only be approved for up to (but no longer than) a three (3) month period;
- Groups are not allowd to reserve the entire pool;
- Permits at East Potomac Pool will only be granted during the pool's specified summer season time period; and
Outdoor pools will close for the 2016 summer season on a rolling basis. Permits will not issued after a pool has closed for the season.
- No summer permits will be issued for Rosedale outdoor pool;
No permit is final until the application has been processed, invoice issued, and paid in full.
Provided that the application is submitted to the Permits Office on time, DPR will schedule groups in the following order:
- DPR programs
- DC Public Schools and Public Charter Schools
- DPR Partners (Organizations that have executed a DPR Partnership Agreement)
- Private Youth Groups
- Private Adult Groups
- All other applications
Group Admittance Regulations
- Groups of ten (10) or more MUST have a permit for admission into a DPR pool;
- Permitted groups, including camps and day cares, must follow the required DPR supervision ratio's (please check with the pool for the required ratio's);
- Due to high demand for pool space, groups must limit their requests to visiting no more than twice a week, one hour per visit. The pool may allow for additional time, if available. Groups should check with the permits office;
- Groups that have a majority of children and youth over the age of nine (9) years old, are limited to 25 children;
- DPR reserves the right to deny a permit application that requests any time outside of a pool’s hours of operation;
- Any permitted group that is not in compliance with all permit guidelines, pool rules and site staff instructions will not be granted access to the pool and asked to leave; and
- Groups must bring permit with them to the pool during each visit.
Adult to Child Ratios
Children age 6 and under, ratio of 1:3
- There must be one (1) adult for every three (3) children;
- Children 6-years old and under must have a responsible person in the water with them and within arm’s reach at all times; and
- Adults and children MUST wear proper swim attire and MUST enter the pool with children.
Children age 7 to 12, ratio of 1:6
- There must be one (1) adult for every six (6) children; and
- Adults must be at poolside, in proper swim attire, supervising the children.
Pool Closures and Holidays
Permits will not be granted for a pool’s regularly scheduled closed day. Please visit DPR's Aquatics Facility Locator guide to review a pools operating schedule.
Permits will not granted on Federal and/or District Holidays
Here are some rules and regulations to help your group have a more positive experience when arriving at the pool for your permitted time:
- Have a hard copy of your permit in had for each visit and ready to present to the pool manager upon arrival;
- We recommend that groups with small children arrive at the pool dressed and ready to shower so you make the most of your swim time;
- Have the proper adult to child ratio;
- Arrive early to check-in. Arriving late may cause you to miss your swim time. If you arrive late, your group cannot make-up the time without approval; and
- Any group that is in not in compliance with all permit guidelines, pool rules and site staff instructions may not be granted access to the pool and risks being asked to leave or having permit revoked.