Who We Are
The team began in 1983 as the "Capitol East Blue Waves" Swim team. Its nucleus at the time consisted of five families whose children were in learn-to-swim classes at Capitol East Natatorium. The DC Wave Swim Team, competing as the DC Department of Parks & Recreation Swim Team, is now the District of Columbia’s only nationally competitive public youth swim team. The DC Wave Swim Team is a year round competitive swimming program, with swimmers ranging in age from 5-18 years old. The team competes both locally and nationally within Potomac Valley Swimming and USA Swimming. Our coaching staff consists of USA Swimming and ASCA certified professionals that impart the values of teamwork, responsibility, respect, and strong work ethic to our athletes.
The mission of the DC Wave Swim Team is to enhance the profile of competitive swimming in the Nation's Capital by contributing to the social, ethnic, and economic diversity of United States Swimming (USA Swimming) while providing a quality and affordable competitive swimming experience to the youth of the District of Columbia and the surrounding Metropolitan area.
The goal of the DC Wave Swim Team is assist youth in the development, pursuit, and achievement of personal goals through the sport of swimming. We strive to help each athlete reach individual excellence while also contributing to team success.
- Takoma Aquatic Center – 300 Van Buren Street, NW | Washington, DC
- Rumsey Aquatic Center – 635 North Carolina Avenue, SE | Washington, DC
- East Potomac Pool – 972 Ohio Drive, SW | Washington, DC
Developmental (Ages 6-11)
Swimmers at this level train for 3-5 hours per week, with training sessions of 1,500-2,500 yards in length. At this level training is primarily focused on proper body position, balancing in the water, development of a strong and stabilizing kick, proficiency in all 4 competitive strokes, and I.M, starts and turns, lane etiquette, introduction to swim meets, and FUN!!!
Age Group (Ages 9-14)
Swimmers should have at least one year of previous competitive swimming experience and be able to legally swim 50 yards of each competitive stroke (Butterfly, Backstroke, Breaststroke, and Freestyle). Swimmers in this group train 6-8 hours per week. Training at this level is primarily focused on the development of the swimmers’ aerobic base, stroke mechanics, teaching of training principles and concepts, starts and turns, and race preparation. Dry land training is introduced to swimmers at this level; summer long course training is strongly encouraged.
The Pre-Senior level is for athletes that want to make competitive swimming a priority in their lives. Athletes must be able to train a minimum of 10 hours per week. Training at this level focuses on goal setting, visualization, and qualifying for championship level competition. Long course training and dry land training are requirements at this level.
Graduation into this level is by coach's invitation only, and athletes must be able to adhere to coaches and training group standards and requirements to remain at this level. Athletes at this level train for 12 or more hours per week. Training focuses on qualifying for championship and national level competitions. Dry land training and long course training are requirements at this level.
Prior to registering for the DC Wave Swim Team, new swimmers must be assessed by the coaching staff BEFORE registering for the team.
Upon completion of an assessment, swimmers can register in person at one of our training locations, and will be assigned to a training level, and then a training group and coach.
Assessments are only available for the Developmental and Age Group levels. New swimmers interested in joining the Pre-Senior and Senior levels should contact:
Robert Green – [email protected] | (202) 256-4718
The program registration fee is $250.00 for DC residents and $300.00 for non-DC residents. Payment must be made in full before child begins swimming. In addition to the program registration fee, DC Wave Booster Club Dues are required for participation in swim meets. Booster Club Dues will be collected by the DC Wave Parent Booster Club. Booster Club Dues can be paid in installments. For additional information regarding the Booster Club and Booster Club Dues please visit www.dcwaveswimteam.com.
Reduced Rate Procedure
If the cost of participation proves to be prohibitive, the DPR offers a reduced rate for registration fees to those who qualify. In order to qualify for the DC Wave Swim Team reduced rate, applicants must be a DC residents and must provide proof of residency and proof of income below the poverty level according to federal guidelines. Below are the required materials and current household income levels established by the U.S. Federal Government (as of 2015-2016) that must be met in order to qualify:
(Parents & Children)
(Total Annual Household
Income before taxes)
(Total Annual Household
Income before taxes)
Proof of Income Examples, bring ONE of the following documents:
Residents must provide a valid proof of current District of Columbia residency and a photo ID in order to qualify for a reduced rate. Valid documents, as stated by the DC Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), is limited to the following:
- DC Driver's License or DC Non-Driver Identification Card
- University IDs from American, Catholic, Gallaudet, Georgetown, George Washington, Howard, or Trinity Universities
- US Department of State Driver's License or Diplomatic ID Card
- Veteran's Home ID Card
- Letter or Card from Court Services, DC Department of Corrections, US Government Probation Office, DC Social Services Agency
Residents may also provide a valid government photo ID and one of the following:
- Utility bill (Water, Gas, Electric, Oil, or Cable) with name and address, issued within the last sixty (60) days
- Telephone bill (no cell phone, wireless or pager bills acceptable) reflecting applicant's name and current address, issued within the last sixty (60) days
- Deed or settlement agreement
- Unexpired lease or rental agreement with the name of the applicant listed as the lessee, permitted resident or renter
- DC Property Tax bill
- Unexpired homeowner's insurance policy reflecting name and address
Reduced Rate Fees
DPR has set the reduced rate fees to make them affordable for qualified families.
- DC Resident - $62.50 (per athlete)
DC Wave Swim Team Registration - Year Round Competitive Swimming Program 2016-2017
Priority registration for returning DC Wave Swim Team Members (2014-2015 season) opens online Monday, August 1st. Returning swimmers can log on via the DPR website -www.dpr.dc.gov to register for the 2016-2017 year round competitive season. All new swimmers must complete a swim team tryout prior to registering for the 2016-2017 year round competitive season. Please complete the swim team tryout form and bring it with you to one of the following tryout dates. Swim team registration closes at 250 swimmers.
Swim Team Tryout Dates
- Monday, August 22nd - Developmental Tryouts
- Tuesday, August 23rd - Age Group Tryouts
- Wednesday, August 24th - Junior Tryouts
- Thursday, August 25th - Developmental Tryouts
- Friday, August 26th - Age Group Tryouts
- Monday, August 29th - Developmental Tryouts
- Tuesday, August 30th - Age Group Tryouts
- Wednesday, August 31st - Junior Tryouts
- Thursday, September 1st - Age Group Tryouts
- Friday, September 2nd - Developmental Tryouts
For additional questions, please contact:
Competitive Swimming Program Manager
Email: [email protected]