*NEW: DPR is proud to announce a new Field Permits Schedule page. Field permit holders & interested parties can now see information regarding field status. Please note, if a field is showing "no use," you MUST put in a permit application to use the field. Anyone using a field without a permit can be subject to fine(s).
Please email [email protected] should there be any questions or concerns. For immediate field updates/closures, please sign up for our Nixle Alerts.
Effective June 2016, DPR's new regulations and fees for Athletic permits went into effect. Starting with the Fall/Winter 2016/2017 season, the new fees will be applicable to all applications submitted during the Fall/Winter permit window. For more information, please contact the Permits office or visit the following pages:
DPR's Permits Office handles all permit applications for the athletic use of its ball fields and basketball courts. To submit an athletic facility permit request please complete the Online Permit Application.
Athletic Facility Locations
Seasonal and Renovation Closures
Your preferred location may be offline temporarily or on a long-term basis due to inclement weather, renovation, or seasonal closure.
- Please review the Athletic Field Information Page for field closure information;
- Natural turf fields are offline from the Friday before Thanksgiving until the third Friday in March; and
- Artificial (synthetic) fields and indoor basketball courts/gyms are available year round.
Athletic Permit Application Period
DPR permits its ball fields and basketball courts on a seasonal basis. Beginning 2017, DPR has four scheduling seasons: Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer.
Prior to each scheduling season, DPR will publish a time period, or “permit window,” during which the agency will accept athletic permit applications. The latest seasonal athletic permit information is listed below. Please note: DPR handles late requests for fields and gyms in the order in which they are received.
- Season Duration: June 19 – August 20, 2017
- Permit Application Window: March 27 – April 9, 2017. To apply, visit the Online Permit Application.
- Application Deadline: 11:59 pm on April 9th, 2017
- Notifications of Availability: Week of May 21st, 2017
- Late Submissions: Permits that are submitted on or after April 9th, 2017 will be considered LATE SUBMISSIONS. All late submissions will not be reviewed until all on-time application are processed from the Permit Window, and will be allocated based on availability on a first come first served basis.
NOTE: The National Park Service fields are only permitted May through September of each year and will be allocated as part of the Summer Season. DPR permits the West Potomac Park baseball/softball fields 1-8, 11, 12, 13 and Wallenberg Field. Field 11 and Wallenberg will be CLOSED this summer. Space is very limited. Thes application and allocation of fields are handled separately from other DPR locations and done by lottery.
- Season Duration: August 21 –November 19th, 2017
- Permit Application Window: June 19th – July 4th, 2017. To apply, visit the Online Permit Application.
- Application Deadline: 11:59 pm on July 4th, 2017
- Notifications of Availability: Week of July 31st, 2017
- Late Submissions: Permits that are submitted on or after July 4th, 2017 will be considered LATE SUBMISSIONS. All late submissions will not be reviewed until all on-time application are processed from the Permit Window, and will be allocated based on availability on a first come first served basis.
NOTE: The National Park Service fields are only permitted May through September of each year and allocated during our Summer Window.
Permit Issuance Priority
Provided that the application is completed in a timely manner, DPR will award permits in the following order when scheduling activities for fields and gymnasiums:
- DPR-sponsored activities;
- District of Columbia non-profit partners recognized by DPR in a written agreement;
- Athletic programs organized by DCPS, DC Public Charter Schools, or the DCSAA for competitive league play and not for intramurals;
- * Youth non-profit organizations, including schools, principally serving residents of the District of Columbia;
- * Adult non-profit organizations principally serving DC residents;
- Other District of Columbia organizations, groups, or individuals for private use;
- Non-residents youth non-profit organizations, including schools; and
- Non-residents adult non-profit organizations.
* Principally serving requires 75% of participants be DC residents. Applicants may be required to sign a sworn statement or provide rosters of participants’ addresses showing that they meet the residency requirements.
Prospective permit holders must pay two weeks after receiving email confirmation of the availability of their field or gym. In order to cover incidental costs associated with late permits, DPR will charge a permit holder a fee equal to 15% of the total cost of the permit for any payment that arrives past the two week deadline. DPR reserves the right to cancel any athletic permit for which it has not received payment after the two-week deadline.
The DPR permit office is located at 1250 U St., NW, Washington, DC 20009. The office hours are as follows:
- Monday – Friday: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Closed: Saturday and Sunday.
- Customers who wish to discuss any permit issues (Approval, Denial, Pending Request,) or general questions concerning a permit can schedule a conference by calling (202) 671-2597 or emailing: [email protected].