Dog parks in the District of Columbia are maintained by the Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) in partnership with the public. In 2007, dog park regulations were issued which allowed for the creation of official, public dog parks on District-owned parkland within the possession and control of the Government of the District of Columbia.
Dog park locations and the application process are further described below. For more information on DPR dog parks email firstname.lastname@example.org.
DPR Dog Park Locations
|Dog Park Name||Ward||Location|
|Chevy Chase Dog Park||3||41st & Livingston Sts., NW|
|Gage - Eckington Dog Park||1||286 V St., NW|
|Guy Mason Dog Park||3||3600 Calvert St., NW|
|Kingsman Dog Park||6||D St. & Tennessee Ave., NE|
|Landsburgh Dog Park||6||M St. & Delaware Ave., SW|
|Langdon Dog Park||5||2901 20th St., NE|
|Newark Street Dog Park||3||39th & Newark Sts., NW|
|S Street Dog Park||2||17th & S Sts., NW|
|Shaw Dog Park||2||11th St. & Rhode Island Ave., NW|
|Upshur Dog Park||4||4300 Arkansas Ave., NW|
|Walter Pierce Dog Park||1||20th & Calvert Sts., NW|
Dog Park Applications Status
Interested parties wishing to review the applications can do so by selecting the application of interest from the list below or by visiting the Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR), 1250 U Street, NW, Second Floor. Please submit any feedback prior to the public comment deadline.
For more information or to submit your comments please email email@example.com.
|Application Name||Applicant Organization||Proposed Location||Square Footage||Application Status|
|Francis Dog Park||West End Dogs||25th & M Street, NW||10,000 sq. ft.||Approved|
|Virginia Avenue Dog Park||Capitol Canines||11th Street & Virginia Avenue, SE||10,000 sq. ft.||Approved|
Dog Park Application Regulations
The Council of the District of Columbia unanimously passed legislation, DC Act 16-182*, amending the Animal Control Act of 1979, effective October 18, 1979 (DC Law 3-30; DC Official Code 8-1801 et seq.)(2001) which authorized the Mayor to create fenced-in, off-leash dog parks.
DPR worked with the public and other District agencies to create rules for dog parks. District agencies involved with creating the rules were the DC Department of Environment (DDOE), DC Department of Health (DOH), Department of Public Works (DPW), Metropolitan Police Department (MPD), Office of the Clean City, Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs (DCRA), and the DC Water and Sewer Authority (DCWASA).
Summary of Rules and Guidelines
- Public dog parks are open to all residents and visitors of the District of Columbia. DPR will not charge fees for use of dog parks.
- Dog parks located on the grounds of a DPR facility will be open the same hours as the facility.
- Dog parks located on non-lighted grounds or parks will be open from dawn to dusk.
- All dogs using a dog park must be licensed and registered in the District of Columbia. All dogs are required by law to be vaccinated and registered.
- All dogs must display a Dog Park Registration Tag*, and other tags as required by law.
- A maximum of 30 dogs per 10,000 square feet may be in a park at one time. Please refer to signage at each dog park for specifics at that location.