The play space at Harry Thomas is located at 1743 Lincoln Road NE in Ward 5. The current play space includes a field, basketball court, tennis courts, play equipment, and an underutilized plaza.
- First community meeting: November 14, 2012
- Second community meeting: December 5, 2012
- Pre-construction meeting: May 14, 2013 at 7:00 - 8:30PM at Harry Thomas Recreation Center, 1743 Lincoln Road, NE.
- Construction start date: June 11, 2013
- Completion date: September 30, 2013
- Ribbon-cutting ceremony: October 29, 2013
The concept for the play space at Harry Thomas includes the relocation of the play equipment from its current site to the plaza between the pool and the field. One tennis court will be removed and two basketball courts built next to the remaining tennis court. The Fibonacci spiral provides a theme throughout the site, with new curved walking paths weaving through a playground for smaller children, older children, and into a community garden. A fitness loop and adult fitness equipment will be installed around the field, and new seating and a shade structure will be provided.
How You’ll Move Grow and Be Green
A new fitness loop and outdoor fitness stations provide new opportunities to MOVE around the site. Be inspired and GROW in your appreciation of science and nature through the design of the play space, modeled after a Fibonacci spiral. Rain gardens and a new bio-retention area ensure that we try to BE GREEN and mitigate stormwater on site.
- Florida Ave NW and 1st Street NW (0.3 miles away)
- New York Avenue – 1st Street NW and New York Avenue NW (0.8 miles away)
- Kennedy – 1401 7th Street NW (0.9 miles away)*
Edgewood – 3rd Street NE and Evarts Street NE (0.9 miles away)
* Kennedy will also be under construction this year; please see its project page for more details.
Pardon Our Dust
- Building and pool will remain open
- Tennis courts and basketball court will close
- Playground will be closed
- Field will remain open, with some minor work done on field at times
- Camp will still be held
Stay in the Loop with the Office of Planning and Capital Projects
Phone: (202) 673-7647
Email: [email protected]
On Twitter: Use the hashtag #PlayDC
Playground Address: 1743 Lincoln Road, NE