CONTACT: DPR Customer Care: (202) 673-7647
Bowser Administration to Expand Hours at 45 DPR Recreation Centers with an Emphasis on Access for Teens
(WASHINGTON, DC) – The Bowser administration and the DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) are expanding hours at DPR recreation centers for residents of all ages but especially for teens. The expansion of operating hours begins on March 27, with eight high-demand recreation facilities opening 15 hours every weekday and eventually expanding hours to a total of 45 recreation centers by April 24.
The expansion of hours addresses a growing desire among teens more interested in leisure usage of DPR’s gyms, fitness centers, eGaming lounges, etc. DPR will limit programming and permits during the expanded hours to ensure availability of these highly utilized recreation assets for teens.
“We have heard the community's plea for more access to our facilities for teens, so we are expanding hours for them to engage in more casual forms of recreation." DPR Director Delano Hunter. “We are creating safe spaces for our teens to be teens!”
Eight Recreation Centers Expanding Hours on Monday, March 27:
Weekday hours will expand from eight hours to 15 hours and Saturday hours will double from four hours to eight hours. The old weekday operating hours were 12:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.; the new weekday hours will be 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. The old Saturday hours were 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.; the new Saturday hours will be 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. In April, an additional 37 recreation centers will expand to varying operating hours.
|Old Hours*||New Hours||Daily Operating Hours Change|
|Monday - Friday||12:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.||6:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.||8 ➔ 15 hours per day|
|Saturday||9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.||9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.||4 ➔ 8 hours per day|
The first eight recreation centers to begin expanded hours on Monday, March 27:
- Columbia Heights Community Center (1480 Girard Street NW)
- Emery Heights Community Center (5701 Georgia Avenue NW)
- Turkey Thicket Recreation Center (1100 Michigan Avenue NE)
- Edgewood Recreation Center (301 Franklin Street NE)
- Deanwood Community Center (1350 49th Street NE)
- Kenilworth Recreation Center (4321 Ord Street NE)
- Rosedale Recreation Center (1701 Gales Street NE)
- Barry Farm Recreation Center (1230 Sumner Road SE)
22 Additional Recreation Centers Expand Hours on Monday, April 10:
Next, on Monday, April 10, DPR will launch the expansion of hours at 22 additional locations, including 18 locations expanding to eight hours on Saturdays.
Daily Operating Hours Change
Monday - Friday
12:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
8 ➔ 12 hours per day
9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. / Closed
9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
4 ➔ 8 hours per day
*Hours may vary at some sites
As of Monday, April 10, these 18 centers will operate 9:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. Monday – Friday and 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Saturdays:
- Hillcrest Recreation Center (3100 Denver Street SE)
- Ferebee Hope Recreation Center (700 Yuma Street SE)
- Fort Davis Community Center (1400 41st Street SE))
- Woody Ward Community Center (5100 Southern Ave SE)
- Benning Stoddert Community Center (100 Stoddert Place SE))
- Sherwood Recreation Center (640 10th Street NE)
- Trinidad Recreation Center (1310 Childress Street NE)
- Palisades Community Center (5200 Sherrier Place NW)
- Chevy Chase Community Center (5601 Connecticut Avenue NW)
- Raymond Recreation Center (3725 10th Street NW)
- North Michigan Park Recreation Center (1333 Emerson Street NE)
- Lamond Recreation Center (20 Tuckerman Street NE)
- King-Greenleaf Recreation Center (201 N Street SW
- Riggs-LaSalle Recreation Center (501 Riggs Road NE)
- Arthur Capper Community Center (1000 5th Street SE
- Ridge Road Community Center (830 Ridge Road SE)
- Fort Stanton Recreation Center (1812 Erie Street SE)
- Bald Eagle Recreation Center (100 Joliet Street SW)
As of Monday, April 10, these four centers will operate 12:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. Monday – Friday and 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Saturdays:
- Shepherd Park Community Center (7800 14th Street NW)
- Marvin Gaye Recreation Center (15 61st Street NE)
- Guy Mason Recreation Center (3600 Calvert Street NW)
- Arboretum Community Center (2412 Rand Place NE)
15 Additional Recreation Centers Expand Hours on Monday, April 24:
Finally, on Monday, April 24, DPR will expand hours at 15 additional locations, which will operate 12:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m., Monday – Friday:
- Joseph H. Cole Recreation Center (1299 Neal Street NE)
- Hearst Recreation Center (3950 37th Street NW)
- Hardy Recreation Center (4500 Q Street NW)
- Upshur Recreation Center (4300 Arkansas Avenue NW)
- Park View Community Center (693 Otis Place NW)
- Petworth Recreation Center (801 Taylor Street NW)
- Douglass Community Center (1921 Frederick Douglass Court SE)
- Brentwood Recreation Center (2311 14th Street NE)
- Harry Thomas Recreation Center (1743 Lincoln Road NE)
- Friendship Recreation Center (4500 Van Ness Street NW)
- Lafayette-Pointer Recreation Center (5900 33rd Street NW)
- New York Avenue Recreation Center (100 N Street NW)
- Takoma Community Center (300 Van Buren Street NW)
- Glover Park Community Center (4001 Calvert Street NW)
- Marie Reed Recreation (2200 Champlain Street NW)
To view all DPR recreation and community centers, visit dpr.dc.gov/RecCenters.
DPR is Hiring
DPR also is also hiring for the summer, with over 600 positions available. Positions available include summer camp, roving leaders, lifeguards and pool operators, urban park rangers, summer meals program, environmental division, and warehouse and transportation.
Residents can learn more or sign up to attend our next hiring event on Saturday, April 1 at earnwithdpr.com.