(WASHINGTON, DC) – The Bowser Administration is highlighting a full schedule of summer events to engage residents of all ages to get #BacktoSummer. These events, hosted by the DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR), will take place across all eight wards, with a special focus on providing youth and young adults with safe and fun afternoon and evening programming everyday this summer.
“DC is open and Mayor Bowser has tasked DPR with making summer fun available and accessible to all throughout the District,” said DPR Director Delano Hunter. “This summer, DPR will meet the community, from seniors to our youngest residents, where they are by offering an unprecedented schedule of activations, programs, and signature events.”
Program and event highlights include:
- Outdoor Movie Nights take place almost every night of the summer through the end of August at recreation centers and parks throughout the District.
- Late Night Hype- a weekly, carnival-style event for teens and young adults held every Friday from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. at different recreation centers. Activities include DJs, open mics, 3-on-3 basketball tournaments, e-sports tournaments, cheer exhibitions, outdoor activities, food, and pool parties.
- #BACKtoSUMMER Block Parties - a true family-style event packed with fun, designed for activating recreation centers with outdoor games, snacks, and music at multiple locations every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday all summer. In addition to traveling around the entire District, weekly block parties are held at Woody Ward Recreation Center, Douglass Recreation Center, and Benning Stoddert Recreation Center.
- Platinum Saturdays - DPR’s weekly series of events for seniors. Activities include outdoor concerts, fitness and yoga, art in the park, and wellness walks.
- Roving Leader’s Mobile Recreation - bringing the full recreational experience to our communities, where there is limited recreational opportunities. Activations include DPR’s Fun Wagon with skates, bicycles, and giant board games, as well as moon bounces and rock climbing walls.
- Pop-Up Outdoor Fitness sessions, which will take place across the District featuring Zumba, Bootcamp, Yoga, Spin, and Tai Chi.
- Weekly vegetable giveaways - FREE produce grown at DPR community gardens at Edgewood Recreation Center and Lederer Garden.
- Pools and Spray Parks - open throughout the District. DPR’s 21 outdoor pools are open six days a week, from 10am to 6pm, with select pools open until 8pm. DPR also offers splash fun for kids at 33 spray parks, open daily from 10 am – 8 pm. Four indoor pools are also available.
- Signature events return this summer including Roving Leader Day in Langdon Park on July 17, and Chuck Brown Day in Langdon Park on August 21.
DPR Twitter: @DCDPR
DPR Instagram: @DCDPR
DPR Facebook: facebook.com/DCDPR
DPR Website: dpr.dc.gov