On Tuesday, October 13, in consultation with the Bowser Administration, the DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) will open indoor pools on a modified schedule with social distancing guidelines and enhanced safety measures in place. Registration begins today, October 1. Participants must reserve a space online.
DPR will operate seven aquatic centers for structured programs and lap swimming only. Swimming reservations are limited to 45 minutes with one reservation per day and a three reservation maximum within a seven-day period. High touch surfaces will be cleaned between each time slot. As part of these safety measures, pool locker rooms will not be open for resident use.
DPR staff will ensure water chemistry readings are taken hourly. Water chemistry levels shall be maintained in compliance with current regulations from DC Health. Sanitizers used in pool operations are regulated by the District Department of the Environment (DDOE) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
The following aquatic centers will operate Monday - Friday from 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. (closed 12:00 p.m.- 4:00 p.m.), Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. and will be closed on Sunday:
- Marie Reed (Ward 2)
- Wilson (Ward 3)
- Takoma (Ward 4)
- Turkey Thicket (Ward 5)
- Rumsey (Ward 6)
- Deanwood (Ward 7) -Note: Closed until Dec. 2020
- Barry Farm (Ward 8)
Access to facilities are available to registrants only and not the general public. Reservations can be made online at DPR Programs.
Specific Precautions/Restrictions for Aquatic Center
- Pool use will prioritize DC residents with valid ID and pre-registration.
- All patrons will be required to present valid State-issued Photo ID upon entry to facility.
- Registrants will complete a health screening questionnaire to enter the facility.
- Face–coverings must be worn by all participants and DPR personnel while on the pool deck. Mask use is prohibited during in water activity.
- DPR activities have been modified to ensure physical distancing requirements are met.
- All wading pools, also known as baby pools or children pools, and hot tubs will remain closed.
- Deck seating will be unavailable.
- Guests participating in reservable programming options are encouraged to arrive on time.
- Arrive no more than (15) minutes in advance. All activities are scheduled in increments to limit crowding.
- All scheduled swimming courses will meet instructor in designated pool area and begin promptly.
- Restrooms will be available to program participants. Pool locker rooms will be available for pool access only.
- Lockers at all pools will not be available for use. Guests must take their belongings with them on the pool deck and place them nearest their scheduled activity.
- To ensure all reservations times are met, we ask guests to minimize their time in these areas by coming to the pool in their swim attire, showering at home, and exiting directly after their scheduled activity.
- Shared equipment such as kickboards, pull buoys, and life vests will be unavailable unless part of a DPR led activity.
- Patrons are encouraged to bring their own water bottles to limit shared use of water fountains.
- All patrons age two years old and over must use a face-covering while on the pool deck, in common areas and when social distancing is not possible.
- All guests are required to maintain at least six feet of space between themselves and others at all times
DPR Twitter: @DCDPR
DPR Instagram: @DCDPR
DPR Facebook: facebook.com/DCDPR
DPR Website: dpr.dc.gov