(Washington, DC) – Today, the DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) released the 2019-2020 Indoor Pool Maintenance Closure Schedule. Beginning Monday, November 18, DPR's indoor, year-round aquatic centers will temporarily close in phases, to undergo yearly scheduled preventative and corrective maintenance.
In partnership with the Department of General Services (DGS), the closure periods include pool drainage, water circulatory system repair, chemical controller service, and outstanding work order abatement. Pools at Dunbar, Ferebee Hope, HD Woodson, Marie Reed and the Therapeutic Aquatic Center will remain open for the duration of this winter's maintenance schedule.
Indoor Pool Closure Schedule:
- Wilson Aquatic Center (4551 Fort Dr., NW | Ward 3) will close beginning Monday, November 18 through Sunday, December 15, 2019. The facility is expected to reopen on Monday, December 16, 2019. Alternative open pools nearest this facility include Marie Reed and Takoma Aquatic Center.
- Takoma Aquatic Center (300 Van Buren St., NW | Ward 4) will close beginning Monday, January 13 through Sunday, February 2, 2020. The facility is expected to reopen on Monday, February 3, 2020. Alternative open pools nearest this facility include Turkey Thicket and Wilson Aquatic Center.
- Turkey Thicket Aquatic Center (1100 Michigan Ave., NE | Ward 5) will close beginning Sunday, February 9 through Saturday, February 29, 2020. The facility is expected to re-open on Monday, March 2, 2020. Alternative open pools nearest this facility include Dunbar and Marie Reed Aquatic Center.
- Deanwood Aquatic Center (1350 - 49th St., NE | Ward 7) will close beginning Sunday, July 12 through Saturday, July 18, 2020. The facility is expected to reopen on Sunday, July 19, 2020.
- William H. Rumsey Aquatic Center (635 North Carolina Ave., SE | Ward 6) will close beginning Sunday, July 19 through Saturday, July 25, 2020. The facility is expected to reopen on Sunday, July 26, 2020.
- Barry Farm Aquatic Center (1230 Sumner Rd., SE | Ward 8) will close beginning Sunday, July 26 through Saturday, August 1, 2020. The facility is expected to reopen on Sunday, August 2, 2020.
During each respective closure, all programs, permits and classes will be suspended at that facility. Residents will be notified through DPR’s text and email alert system if a facility’s expected reopening date will be delayed.