DPR Announces Doggy Paddle Pool Day
(WASHINGTON, DC) – Today, DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) announced Doggy Paddle DC. The event will mark the 13th year resident dogs can enjoy a pool day on Saturday, September 9, from 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., at four outdoor pool locations across the District.
With the end of the outdoor swimming season, except at Hearst and Oxon Run pools, this annual event provides dogs with a one-day opportunity to jump in the pool, enjoy a swim, and play fun aquatics games.
“This is one of our most anticipated signature events, and what better way to spend a Saturday than celebrating with one of your best friends,” said DPR Acting Director Thennie Freeman. “As a dog parent myself, this is a fun way to let your dog play in the water with other DPR pups.”
Doggy Paddle DC locations:
- Langdon Pool, 2860 Mills Avenue NE
- Randall Pool, 25 I Street SW
- Ridge Road Pool, 830 Ridge Road SE
- Upshur Pool, 4300 Arkansas Avenue NW
There is no cost to take part in the event, but registration is required. Additionally, all dogs must have a valid and original license and tag issued by DC Health to enter the pool. DC Health will be on hand and able to issue licenses at each site, but residents must have ALL the required documentation and payment via check or money order to obtain a license on site.
Required documents are: proof of current rabies and distemper vaccinations, and proof of spaying/neutering. The cost of the license is $15 for dogs that are spayed/neutered and $50 for non-spayed/neutered dogs.
To register for Doggy Paddle DC and for more information, visit DoggyPaddleDC.splashthat.com.
To ensure a safe and fun event, dog owners are asked to follow these rules:
- All dogs MUST have and wear a valid DC dog license.
- Dog handlers must be 16 years of age or older.
- Dog handlers cannot swim or enter the pool with their dogs.
- Dogs must be sociable and remain leashed while on the pool deck.
- All dogs must be current on vaccinations including rabies and distemper.
- All dogs must be spayed/neutered.