DPR will close all recreation centers and facilities if the Federal Government shuts down on Saturday, April 9, 2011.
DPR Contact: John Stokes, (202) 288-7275
WASHINGTON, DC – Today the DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) announced its scheduled shutdown procedure in the event of a Federal Government Shutdown. The federal Antideficiency Act (“ADA”) restricts the Mayor and other District Government officials from expending or obligating public funds absent an appropriation. Therefore, if a subsequent Continuing Resolution or final Fiscal Year 2011 budget is not enacted, the District will be required by federal law to stop performing government functions that are not exempt from the ADA after that date.
If a shutdown occurs, the following DPR operations will be affected beginning Saturday, April 9, 2011:
- All DPR buildings will be closed.
- All gated fields, parks and other facilities that are normally locked will remain locked.
- Outdoor bathrooms will remain locked.
- No maintenance or cleaning will occur at any DPR facility, park, or recreation center.
- A small number of DPR personnel will be on duty to ensure the security and preservation of DPR facilities.
- All permits for indoor activities will be cancelled.
- DPR will honor all permits for outdoor fields, parks, playgrounds, play courts, etc.
- The April 11th aquatics registration period will be postponed until further notice.