The following is a statement from DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) Director Delano Hunter on Jelleff Field and the Maret School Agreement:
“We are constantly working to improve our fields and facilities to meet the growing demands from District residents. We are proud to move forward investments that minimize costs to District tax payers and help Washington, DC remain the #1 parks system in the country. We will continue working with the community to ensure all residents enjoy these renovations for years to come."
- Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) has reached an extended agreement with the Maret School to invest nearly $1 million in private funds to support the renovation of Jelleff Recreation Center in Ward 2.
- Maret will invest $700,000 to replace the artificial turf on the field, which has reached the end of its lifespan, as well as repair the surrounding fencing. Maret will continue to provide maintenance of the field and Maret will also support the renovation of the Jelleff Recreation Center up to $250,000.
- The DPR agreement extends a 10 year partnership for another 9 years with Maret, which previously invested $2.4 million for improvements to the field, pool and facilities at Jelleff.
- District students and residents will have priority access to the field 80 hours per week, while Maret will retain access to the field for approximately 15 hours per week in the fall and spring seasons.
- DPR is working with DC Public Schools (DCPS) to meet increasing athletic field needs in the vicinity of the Jelleff Recreation Center.
- For more information and updates on the District’s $7 million Jelleff Recreation Center renovation project click here.
- Mayor Bowser and the District government have committed $339 million for DPR capital investments over the next 6 years to ensure DC’s parks and recreation facilities remain #1 in the country and continue to be the place “Where Fun Happens.”
Jelleff Field Statement from DPR Director Delano Hunter
Wednesday, August 28, 2019