(Washington, DC) – Today, Mayor Muriel Bowser and the DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) announced that select spray parks located in all eight wards will open early on Monday, May 15. Additionally, registration for DPR’s 2023 summer programming will begin on Tuesday, May 16 for aquatics programs, and Wednesday, May 17 for all other programs. Registration will open at noon on both days.
“With temperatures starting to heat up, we’re excited to announce that the District’s spray parks will open early this year for residents to stay active, have fun, and stay cool,” said Mayor Bowser. “We are committed to providing ways, especially for our young people, to enjoy the best of DC by providing resources and programming that helps keeps them safe and engaged. Summer is just around the corner, and we hope families will take advantage of all the great summer programming available at our recreation centers, our schools, and through our community-based organizations.”
The following select spray parks will be open daily from 12 pm – 4 pm starting on Monday, May 15:
- Columbia Heights CC Spray Park (1480 Girard St NW)
- Harrison Spray Park (1330 V Street, NW)
- Park at LeDroit Spray Park (319 Oakdale Place, NW)
- Kennedy Spray Park (1401 7th Street, NW)
- Chevy Chase Rec Spray Park (5500 41st Street, NW)
- Guy Mason Spray Park (3600 Calvert Street, NW)
- Macomb Spray Park (3409 Macomb Street, NW)
- Lafayette-Pointer Spray Park (5900 33rd Street, NW)
- Petworth Spray Park (801 Taylor Street, NW)
- Edgewood Spray Park (301 Franklin Street, NE)
- Turkey Thicket Spray Park (1100 Michigan Avenue, NE)
- Watkins Spray Park (420 12th St SE)
- Fort Davis Spray Park (1400 41st Street, SE)
- Marvin Gaye at Division Avenue (Division & Foote Streets SE)
- Marvin Gaye Spray Park (15 61st Street, NE)
- Fort Greble Rec Center (Martin Luther King Jr Ave & Elmira St SW)
The rest of DPR’s spray parks will open on Saturday, May 27. To view a full list of all spray parks in the District, visit dpr.dc.gov/sprayparks.
The Mayor and DPR are also encouraging families to register for summer programming that will open on:
- Noon on Tuesday, May 16 for aquatics programs ONLY.
- Noon on Wednesday, May 17 for all other summer programs.
Summer programming opportunities are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. DPR will utilize a virtual “waiting room” on both program registration days in order to manage the high demand for programs.
DPR programs available for registration include:
- Aquatics programs, including learning to swim, aquatic fitness, senior aquatics, water polo, and lifeguard instruction.
- Team sports and athletics, including soccer, pickleball, tennis, adult basketball, and co-ed softball.
- Fitness classes like bootcamp, Zumba, cardio, bike-spin, yoga, and senior fitness.
- The 2023-24 Cooperative Play program for children (ages 1.5 – 4)
Residents are encouraged to create an online account with DPR’s registration system in advance of registration opening dates. To create an account, visit dpr.dc.gov/DPRaccount.
DPR also offers programming at reduced rates for qualifying DC residents. Complete the online reduced rates application here. Residents must be approved for reduced rates by DPR before registering for programs.
For more information and to view a complete list of DPR programs, visit DPRprograms.com.