The play space at Harrison Recreation Center is located at 1330 V Street, NW in Ward 1. The site currently includes a basketball court, baseball diamond, play area for younger children, play area for older children and a small court for free play or basketball for kids.
- First community meeting: November 28, 2012
Second community meeting: December 19, 2012
The concept was also featured at meetings of the U Street Neighborhood Association (in January) and the Friends of Harrison.
- Pre-construction Presentation: May 6, 2013 6:30–7:30 pm at Harrison Recreation Center, 1330 V Street, NW
- Groundbreaking date: TBD
- Construction start date: TBD
- Completion date: August 28, 2013
- Ribbon-cutting ceremony: None
The design for Harrison plays on the musical history of neighboring U Street, featuring musical themes in the walkways and play spaces and in a musical instrument-themed mist station, designed to keep kids cool in the summer. In addition to updating the equipment for younger children and older children, DPR and DGS will install a multi-purpose backstop on the small sport court; the backstop includes a soccer goal and a basketball rim! Visitors of all ages will be able to relax on new seating: a seat wall around the water feature and picnic benches under the trees that are currently outside of the fence, but will be included in the space in the redesign.
How You’ll Move Grow and Be Green
At the renovated Harrison play space, you’ll be able to find new and improved ways to MOVE, such as splashing in a water feature or climbing on an exciting play structure. The musical theme may inspire you to GROW in your appreciation of the history of the neighborhood. DPR is excited that this site will BE GREEN through new garden boxes and a rain garden to capture and naturally filter storm water runoff.
During construction, try visiting these nearby playgrounds.
- Westminster – 9th Street, NW and Westminster Street, NW (0.6 miles away)
- Girard Street Park – 1480 Girard Street, NW (0.7 miles away)
- Stead – 1625 P Street, NW (0.9 miles away)
Pardon Our Dust
- Building, basketball court and playground will be closed
- Programs held within buildingwill be on hold during construction
- Field will remain open
Stay in the Loop with the Office of Planning and Capital Projects
Phone: (202) 673-7647
Email: [email protected]
On Twitter: Use the hashtag #PlayDC
Playground Address: 1330 V Street, NW