DPR Customer Service: (202) 673-7647
DPR Permits Division: (202) 671-2597, [email protected]
DPR Media Contacts: Gwendolyn Crump, (202) 288-6027, [email protected]
(Washington, DC) – Today, the DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) announced the 2017 Summer permits schedule. The permit window dates for the upcoming season are currently posted on the DPR website on the Athletic Fields permit page and the Aquatics permit page. DPR permits outdoor fields, courts, gymnasiums and aquatic lanes and facilities on a seasonal schedule, either Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter.
Prior to each scheduling season, DPR opens a 'permit window' - a time period during which the agency will accept permit applications. Applications received during the permit window are reviewed and applicants are notified of their permit status during the 'notification period'. DPR will handle all late permit requests for fields, gyms and aquatics in the order they are received. Late permit requests will be processed after all on-time permit requests, submitted during the permit window, have been processed.
The 2017 Summer permit season is Monday, June 19, 2017 through Sunday, August 20, 2017. For immediate field updates/closures, please sign up for our Nixle Alerts.
The permit window is as follows:
- Season Duration: June 19 – August 20, 2017
- Permit Application Window: March 27 – April 9, 2017. To apply, visit the Online Permit Application.
- Application Deadline: 11:59 pm on April 9th, 2017
- Notifications of Availability: Week of May 21st, 2017
- Late Submissions: Permits that are submitted on or after April 9th, 2017 will be considered LATE SUBMISSIONS. All late submissions will not be reviewed until all on-time application are processed from the Permit Window, and will be allocated based on availability on a first come first served basis.
NOTE: The National Park Service fields are only permitted May through September of each year and will be allocated as part of the Summer Season. DPR permits the West Potomac Park baseball/softball fields 1-8, 11, 12, 13 and Wallenberg Field. Field 11 and Wallenberg will be CLOSED this summer. Space is very limited. The application and allocation of fields are handled separately from other DPR locations and done by lottery.
DPR schedules all athletic field and gymnasium permits in an order of preference:
- DPR programs
- DC public schools and public charter schools
- DPR partners (organizations that have an executed DPR partnership agreement)
- Private youth leagues and teams
- Private adult leagues
The DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) provides quality urban recreation and leisure services for residents and visitors to the District of Columbia. DPR supervises and maintains area parks, community facilities, swimming pools and spray parks, and neighborhood recreation centers. The agency also coordinates a wide variety of recreation and educational programs including sports leagues, youth development, therapeutic recreation, aquatic programming, outdoor adventure, camping and senior citizen activities. Adaptive programs and facilities are available for persons with disabilities.