DPR Invites District Dogs to Play in the Pool
The return of Doggie Day Swim expands to five outdoor pools including a location East of the River
(WASHINGTON, DC) – Today, the DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) announced the return of the Doggie Day Swim on Sunday, September 11, from 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., at five outdoor pool locations across the District.
“We are excited to bring this event back bigger and better for our four-legged residents and their parents,” said DPR Director Delano Hunter. “We have increased doggie swim locations from three to five, and for the first time, we have a site for dog lovers East of the River at Ridge Road.”
This year marks 12th time this event had been held. Dogs will enjoy a day of swimming and aquatics games.
Doggie Day Swim locations:
- Hearst Pool, 3701 37th Street NW
- Langdon Pool, 2860 Mills Avenue NE
- Randall Pool, 25 I Street SW
- Ridge Road Pool, 830 Ridge Road SE
- Upshur Pool, 4300 Arkansas Avenue NW
There is no cost to take part in the event but registration is required. Additionally, all dogs must have a valid and original license and tag issued by DC Health to enter the pool. DC Health will be on hand and able to issue licenses at each site, but residents must have ALL the required documentation and payment via check or money order to obtain a license on site. Required documents are: proof of current rabies and distemper vaccinations, and proof of spaying/neutering. Only money orders or personal checks are accepted, made payable to "DC Treasurer." The cost of the license is $15 for dogs that are spayed/neutered and $50 for non-spayed/neutered dogs.
To register for Doggie Day Swim and for more information, visit https://doggieswimdc.splashthat.com/.
To ensure a safe and fun event, dog owners are asked to follow these rules:
- All dogs MUST have and wear a valid DC dog license.
- Dog handlers must be 16 years of age or older.
- Dog handlers cannot swim or enter the pool with their dogs.
- Dogs must be sociable and remain leashed while on the pool deck.
- All dogs must be current on vaccinations including rabies and distemper.
- All dogs must be spayed/neutered.