DPR Customer Service: (202) 673-7647
DPR Media Contacts: Gregory Jackson Jr., (202) 714-9550, [email protected]
(Washington, DC) - The DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) announced today that spaces are still available for the first 2017/2018 DPR Fun Day. When DC Public Schools (DCPS) is closed for staff development, the agency will offer DPR Fun Day, a free, single-day program offering fun and enriching activities (such as sports and athletics, arts and crafts, and more) for children between the ages 6 and 12 years old. DPR strives to meet the needs of District families when DCPS is closed for Professional Development days.
DPR Fun Day will be offered at select DPR sites on the following days: Friday, September 22, 2017; Friday, December 1, 2017; and Friday, February 16, 2018 from 9 am to 5 pm. Registration opens two weeks prior to Fun Day. Registration for the first 2017/2018 DPR Fun Day opened Friday, September 8, 2017. This event is free, however online registration is required. In person and over the phone registration is not available for this program.
Spaces fill on a first-come, first-served basis and enrollment at each site is subject to availability. Parents are encouraged to create an online account for all members of their family in DPR's registration system prior to registering for DPR Fun Day. Please note that registration will close at 12 noon on Thursday, September 21, 2017.
DPR Fun Day will incorporate DPR’s “Move, Grow and Be Green” initiative, as DPR continues to plant the seeds of personal development and environmental responsibility. Please note that before and after care are not offered for DPR Fun Day.
Sites offering DPR Fun Day for the 2017/2018 school year are as follows:
- Marie Reed - 2200 Champlain Street, NW
- Jelleff - 3265 S Street, NW
- Friendship - 4500 Van Ness Street, NW
- Macomb - 3409 Macomb Street, NW
- Emery - 5801 Georgia Avenue, NW
- Raymond - 3725 10th Street, NW
- Lamond - 20 Tuckerman Street, NE
- Brentwood - 2311 14th Street, NE
- Joe Cole - 1299 Neal Street, NE
- Trinidad - 1310 Childress Street, NE
- Turkey Thicket - 1100 Michigan Avenue, NE
- Kennedy - 1401 7th Street, NW
- King Greenleaf - 201 N Street, SW
- Sherwood - 640 10th Street, NE
- Watkins - 420 12th Street, SE
- Deanwood - 1350 49th Street, NE
- Hillcrest - 3100 Denver Street, SE
- Kenilworth - 4321 Ord Street, NE
- Ridge Road - 800 Ridge Road, SE
- Barry Farm - 1230 Sumner Road, SE
Please note, DPR will not provide lunch or snacks during DPR Fun Day. Campers are allowed to bring their own lunches to camp, but sites are not able to refrigerate lunches brought from home and cannot provide any type of food heating or preparation. DPR encourages healthy eating habits, the following food and drinks are not allowed at camp:
- Red juices of any sort
- Chips, cookies, candy, sunflower seeds, or any kind of sugary snacks
- ABSOLUTELY NO PEANUT PRODUCTS (due to the number of children with nut allergies)
The DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) provides quality urban recreation and leisure services for residents and visitors to the District of Columbia. DPR supervises and maintains area parks, community facilities, swimming pools and spray parks, and neighborhood recreation centers. The agency also coordinates a wide variety of recreation and educational programs including sports leagues, youth development, therapeutic recreation, aquatic programming, outdoor adventure, camping and senior citizen activities. Adaptive programs and facilities are available for persons with disabilities.