DPR's Garden Tool Share Program assists resident gardeners during the growing season (March - November) who may require assistance with temporarily attaining garden tools for one-time use or special events by allowing residents to borrow garden and construction tools for up to one week. The tool share has a variety of garden tools to borrow such as rototillers, hand tools, power tools, broad forks and even a cider press!
The Garden Tool Share program is managed in partnership with the local non profit Green Neighbors DC. For instructions on how to register with the program, to view the tool inventory, reserve a tool, or infomration on how to volunteer please go to www.dctoollibrary.org or email [email protected]
*** Have tools that you never use? Help your local community by donating your extra tools to the garden toolshare. Contact [email protected] for more details.***
Tool Participant Requirements
All participants must:
- Be 18 years old or older;
- Have a valid DC DMV issued driver license or ID card;
- Have a valid credit card;
- Be a current DC resident, and be able to verify residency;
- Assume all risk in using DPR tools; and
- Agree to pay for any and all damage or loss of tools, as well as any cleaning or late fees.
Tool Exchange Times
Tool Check Out Lengths
Participants may check a tool out for a maximum of one week at a time. The tool must be returned at the end of the check out time. Failure to return the tool(s) on time will result in a $1 (one) dollar a day late fee. Charges will continue to accrue until the tool is returned or reaches its approximate value.
Automatic renewals are not available for any tools. Participants may check out a tool for another concurrent week, but only if there are no other participants that have registered to use that tool.
Tool Check Out Limits
- Only one power tool may be checked out at a time, unless prior approval has been obtained from the DPR Community Garden Specialist.
- Only 5 hand tools may be checked out at a time, unless prior approval has been obtained from the DPR Community Garden Specialist.
Penalties & Fees
Registration in the program will require the registrant to agree to pay for damage or loss of tools, waive liability, and assume the risk of use. Any damage of use beyond normal wear and tear (which will be assessed by the DPR community Garden Specialist) and replacement fees if tools are late or lost or unreturned shall be charged to the program participant for payment within 10 days.
Penalty fees are as follows:
- Late fee: $ 1 (one) dollar a day late fee until the tool is returned or the item reaches its estimated value.
- Cleaning fee: All tools must be cleaned before drop off. Failure to clean a tool will result in a $5 cleaning fee.
- Damage fee: If a tool is damaged beyond normal wear and tear (based on an assessment of the tool upon return), participants will be charged an estimated fee to repair or replace a tool.
- Lost/Never returned fee: If tools are lost or not returned, a replacement fee will be incurred at the estimated price of the tool.
- Failure to pay fees within ten days will result in immediate removal of the program and possible civil fines pursuant to D.C. Official Code 10-137.01 (e).
- All participants must sign a waiver of liability form before borrowing any tool.
- Only the borrower registered on ASAP may use the checked out tool.
- All participants must participate in a short and specific tool safety lesson taught by the DPR Community Garden Specialist before checking out any tool.
For any questions please contact DPR Community Garden Specialists at [email protected] for further details.